Being in an accident can be a devastating experience. You will be worrying about everything from the state of your car to finding the best personal injury lawyer Houston TX, but to make sure your accident goes as smoothly as possible there are certain steps you should take immediately following your accident.
- Stop and Make a Quick Assessment – Try to stay calm and make a quick assessment of the situation. Are you injured? Is your passenger injured? Does your car seem like it is too dangerous to stay inside? Answer these questions first and gain as much information about your surroundings quickly so you will be able to make an accurate report and summon the necessary help.
- Get to a Safe Place – If your vehicle is in a dangerous area and it is too difficult for you to stand by it without the risk of being injured, move with the other party in the accident to a safe place away from traffic.
- Call 911 – Contact 911 to report the accident as well as any injuries to you or your passengers. The 911 operator will ask you for basic information such as location, the condition of the vehicle, and injuries that may have been sustained so that they can dispatch the proper services.
- Take Documentation – Take the time while the police are on their way to document the scene of the accident as best as you can. Take photos of the vehicle, the scene, and other pertinent information that may come up when you tell your story, such as street signs and light locations. Write down the other vehicle’s license plate number, make, and model, and as many details as you can remember.
- Exchange Information With the Other Driver – Get with the other driver of the vehicle to exchange information with you such as their name, contact information, drivers license number, and insurance information. You will be asked for this information from your insurance company, and it can save a lot of time to have it ready instead of having to wait for a police report to be filed.
- Contact A Personal Injury Lawyer Houston TX– After your police report has been filed and you have tended to your injuries, you should contact a lawyer that specializes in car accidents to discuss whether or not you may have a case for litigation. Car accidents can result in injuries that show up much later than the actual incident and knowing what your rights are and what documentation you should be gathering in the event a suit is necessary will help your case.
- Report Your Accident to Your Insurance Company – After you have spoken with an attorney, call your insurance provider to report your accident and begin the claims process.
Many people will contact their car insurance immediately before contacting an attorney. Most of the time drivers assume that the insurance company has their best interest in mind but often times it comes down to them spending as little as they need to cover your claim. This can mean limited coverage for medical concerns. Be sure to contact a personal injury lawyer Houston TX before signing any type of settlement with your insurance company to ensure you fully understand your rights.